Saturday, November 11, 2017

Changing the Old Story

Several months ago, I was holding space for an older friend of mine who has been experiencing hardship. By holding space I mean that I was listening without offering feedback or council, giving only the comfort of loving presence.
As she told me about her week and caught me up on the happenings of her life, I became aware that nothing had changed for her since our last visit. In fact, nothing had changed for her in all of the many years I have known her. If I were to boil her story down to its essence, erasing the names of the players and the varied circumstances within the unfolding drama, it was the same story she has been repeating throughout the course of her life.

In the growing awareness of this realization, I found myself somehow less impacted or personally caught up in the drama of it, and better able to listen objectively from a place of true love. I found my thoughts about the situations, my judgement of the participants, evaporating in the realization that she was creating this; hidden in these stories were the beliefs shaping her reality and experience.

I said nothing. My friend isn't the kind of person who looks to others for guidance or teaching. In her mind SHE is the teacher. Offering her the observation that she is repeating the same complaints, retelling the same story of abuse, poverty, neglect and unloving behavior, would have fallen on deaf ears. She is not yet able to receive the observation that she is holding a consistent frequency and vibrational offering of pain, poverty and victimization. She doesn't believe that she has the power to create or change her reality.

Experience within our relationship has shown me that she would most likely have absorbed my words as criticism and a lack of empathy for her current situation; because that perspective would confirm and validate the belief she has in her own victimhood and lack of power over her situation.

The inability to recognize our own patterns of behavior and a tendency to squeeze any feedback from life into our established beliefs about who we believe we are, is common in the egoic experience. Putting aside our beliefs --upon which we are taking actions, forming relationships, and creating our lives-- even temporarily to consider that one or more of those beliefs may be based on  false premise can begin a life altering awakening.

Through being an example, my friend has illuminated for me the lesson in today's card; which is helping me re-frame the thoughts and beliefs I have held about myself and my personal back story. This lesson isn't just about money and financial abundance.  It holds true in all areas of  experience. Telling myself new stories about life, power, purpose, wealth etc. has shifted my attitude, my vibrational offering, and the direction of my path. Consequently, my whole experience of life is shifting for the better. Big changes are afoot.

On a side note . . .

Next week I will be flying to India to stay with my husband's family. I am unsure of how long I will be there, but am willing to imagine it becoming my new home base of operations.  Wish us well!

No comments:

Post a Comment